Jay always says “Namibia is full of surprises”. While it’s true, they tend not to be surprises one would appreciate (like this). Now and then, though, this country comes through with something pretty cool.
It started with the oranges; a significant happening for us because last year we got to eat exactly zero oranges, thanks to one of Namibia’s plagues that it periodically inflicts upon people. Some sort of citrus fruit fly stung each and every fruit on our ten trees, causing them to rot from the inside out before they ripened. So this year fly traps were constructed out of old two liter soda bottles collected from the dump. These were then filled with cow poop, spoiled milk, moldy meat, and other smelly things and hung amongst the baby fruits. I never found many bugs inside them but there were lots of maggots. Don’t know whose maggots, but certainly it was better to have them in there than anywhere out here. And it seemed to have worked. Though a few fruits are still lost, many more hang on the branches awaiting our stomachs. We eat armfuls everyday which I plan to continue until we, or something else, have consumed them all.
Then there’s the honey, which is a small chunk of miracle. The drought this year didn’t do great things for our bees’ pollen supply. Every time we checked on them the combs were nearly empty. As a result, we’ve been safeguarding our last bucket of honey, expecting no more until November when things begin to bloom again. The bees, however, have defied the lack of rain and suddenly found a mysterious yet plentiful source of food and filled their boxes up anyway. Leaving a bit behind for their winter reserves, we’ve harvested over 100kg from our 13 swarms. Everything in the kitchen- the floor, the counters, the stove, all the silverware, the refrigerator, the dog- was covered in honey for about a week, but it was worth it. And only one sting in the entire operation, on my foot, when I stepped on a little guy roaming the floor for spillages.
Strangely, the last harvest came at the same time as the other two, and though it was more of my own doing, it contributed greatly to my bewilderment. For a while now I’ve been trying to wrangle mycelium, the parent organism of fungus, into growing oyster mushrooms for me. I took a class at the University of Namibia back in November and have been bumbling through the process ever since with very little success. Until this week, we’ve reaped a total of 5 mushrooms from my efforts. Somehow, my temperature, humidity, water, nutrients, light, oxygen, hairdo, or facial expression just wasn’t right. Eventually, the mushrooms got tired of waiting for me to figure it out and just went ahead and grew without me. Normally, I would need to open the bag of mycelium and the surge of light, water and air would stimulate the oysters to sprout. Mine, however, sprouted inside the closed bag which I didn’t know was possible. When I finally caught up and got them opened and watered, they provided Jay and I with three scrumptious meals with more still on the way.
It’s been a crazy week with not a small amount of work, but well rewarded. And delicious. It seems Namibia either took pity on us after the past few months she put us through and thought we deserved it, or she’s busy plaguing someone else at the moment and will be back with us at her earliest convenience.