Working on my inner morning person

We were up late last night watching the final Women’s World Cup games.  Jay’s dad taped the series for us off his satellite TV since our TV only gets one channel and they did not deem the Women’s World Cup worthy enough to displace their soap operas.  So this morning, I was a little slow.

Jay, the unwavering morning person, woke me up, “Hey babe, wake up.  The weather is just right for flying.  I’m gonna make breakfast, then we’ll go”.  I think I managed to open my eyes and mumble something.  He bounced out of the room, I went back to sleep. 

 Fifteen minutes later, my subconscious reminded me that I was supposed to be doing something and forced my eyeballs open.  I got dressed, brushed my teeth and headed out into the world.

In the kitchen, Jay had made tea for me, coffee for him and pap, a traditional Namibian corn porridge.  I stumble in.  He says cheerily “Ready to go?!”  He had fulfilled his promise to make breakfast but reneged his offer to let me eat it.  I stared at him for a few seconds to see if he was joking or not.  He was not, unfortunately, so with the intention to take pictures for a blog story I grabbed the camera, and quickly begin slurping down my tea.  I had no shoes so I put on a pair of his and clomped quickly toward the hangar, spilling tea all over myself along the way. 

 Jay knows how I feel about wasting gas, so now he always tries to fly his microlight with a purpose.  This morning’s objective was to celebrate the renewal of his pilot’s license, scan the farm for a missing bull, locate a run away donkey and check the water levels of the dams in the back of his land.  We hauled the plane out to the runway, aka the dirt road in front of the house, and prepared it for takeoff.  I realized at this point that I had not tied my hair back and it is going to blow all over my face.  Awesome.  I chug some more tea.  I put on my flight suit for warmth in the cold air up there, Jay swings the propeller.  Seatbelts, goggles, headsets on, I wave goodbye to the dog waiting faithfully in the back of the pick-up, and we accelerate down the road until the air lifts us and we head skyward. 

 Riding in a microlight is an unusual experience.  It’s like riding on a really fast motorcycle in the air.  There is nothing but a seatbelt holding you onto your seat and nothing between you and the sky you are flying through.  Your feet have only little metal posts to rest on.  You become very aware of your mortality.  If you are afraid of heights, it may be utterly terrifying.

Immediately, I began to snap photos.  The bright sun and rushing air and my fear of dropping the camera into oblivion prevented me from seeing what I was photographing so I just pushed the button and hoped for the best.  In between, I scoured the model-train-world below for a feral bull.  Over the hills we flew.  We saw the old, dilapidated hunting camp on one peak.  I noticed how the dominating tree species are different from one side of the hill to the other.  We saw a group of oryx galloping in one direction, then a warthog family dashing in the other.  Wildlife does not seem to enjoy loud, neon pink, flying people interrupting breakfast. 

Here’s a good one of the pilot’s head just after take off. I don’t know what I was actually going for. It’s a nice view of the high-tech cockpit though.

Without locating the bull we set off through the farm.  We saw the fire bushes beginning to bloom.  Spring is coming.  More oryx, and now eland, guinea fowl, and kudu.  I tried to take a picture but was never prepared and we flew by all the herds before I got the damn camera on.  We saw warthog digging up a leaking pipe we tried to fix yesterday.  We saw the cattle we moved into a new camp the day before who still hadn’t found their water trough.

The farm house from above. And an arm.

We reached the dams, they had another two months or so of water left.  The last one had an eland drinking from it.  With the sun gently lighting the scene, it was a picture perfect moment and I turned on the camera just for it to tell me the batteries were dead.  “No awesome picture for you, lady”, it said.  I wished I had my tea.

A leeeetle crooked.

So the dams were full, the bull was gone, we never found the donkey and the pictures are far from professional.  But we did get a smooth flight through the early morning and a different view of our everyday world.  We landed safely and I even got to eat breakfast.  I think the day, and my brain, will turn out ok.

And here’s the ground! Probably just past something really spectacular.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s